Left. The Nativity by Burne Jones
Centre. The Crucifixion by Rossetti
Right. The Resurrection by William Morris
These three windows were made in 1863 and originally installed in the Chancel window.
The Nativity shows Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus with Shepherds and Angels. The emblems of St Matthew and St Mark are above. Burne Jones’ cartoon for the Nativity can be seen in the Birmingham City Art Gallery.
The Crucifixion is depicted with Mary the mother of Jesus on the left and St John the Evangelist on the right of the cross with a flying Angel on each side. The Sun and Moon emblems are above.
The Resurrection shows Jesus with his disciples and angels. The emblems of St Luke and St John are above.
Documentation in the minute book dated December 1862 states – “Agreed that Rossetti having drawing a cartoon of the ‘Crucifixion’ for the Dedlicote window centre light, Jones do one of the ‘Nativity’ for one side light and Morris one of the ‘Resurrection’ for the other. Jones’ price be £5 but that Morris only have £3.”
These two small windows were made in 1863 and originally installed in the South Aisle west window The left hand window shows the Angel Gabriel standing holding a large scroll. The right hand window shows Mary in a small room, kneeling with a large lily in a pot on the floor.
The inscription below the Angel is ‘Ecce virgo concipiet et pariet filium et volcabitur nomen eius Emmanuel’. This translates as ‘Behold a virgin shall conceive and bear a son and his name shall be called Emmanuel’. The scroll that is held by the Angel says ‘Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum’ which translates as ‘ Hail Mary full of Grace, the Lord is with you’.
The inscription below Mary is ‘Spiritus Sanctus superveniet in te et virtus Altissimi obumbrabit tibi’. This translates as ‘The Holy Spirit shall come over you and the power of the Most High shall overshadow you’.
Burne Jones’ cartoon , originally designed for tiles and previously used at St Martins’ Scarborough, is in the Birmingham City Art Gallery.
St Anne and St Catherine
Left. St Anne by Maddox Brown
Right. St Catherine by William Morris
These were made in 1873 and originally installed in the South Aisle central window. They are not displayed next to each other now, Saint Anne being by the front door and St Catherine in the main church by the organ.
St Mary the Virgin and St Nicholas
Left. The Virgin and Child by Burne Jones
Right. St Nicholas with Babe by Burne Jones
These were made in 1877 and originally installed in the South Aisle east window. The Virgin and child is inscribed Sancta Maria Virgo and shows Mary in a blue and white cloak. Unusually the Virgin is crowned. St Nicholas is in a green cape lined with gold.
St Elizabeth and St Gregory
Left. St Elizabeth by Burne Jones
Right. St Gregory by Burne Jones
These were made in 1881 and originally installed in the North Aisle central window. St Elizabeth is in a dark blue robe over green. St Gregory is in gold vestment lined with dark green.
St George and St Ursula
Left. St George by Burne Jones
Right. St Ursula by Burne Jones
These were made in 1887 and originally installed in the North Aisle east window. St George is in orange red armour. St Ursula is in blue over red with a green halo.
St John and St Margaret
Left. St John the Evangelist by Burne Jones
Right. St Margaret by Burne Jones
These were made in 1888 and originally installed in the North Aisle west window. St Margaret is in blue and green and shown walking on a red dragon. St John is holding a copy of the bible with the inscription ‘In principio erat verbum et verbum erat apud Deum’. This translates as ‘In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God’.